Thursday, January 26, 2012

relief

Sitting back in the icu, same room as before ironically enough! Joel is resting. The nausea he had immediately following, came from his blood pressure being high. A very common thing after a portion of your brain has been removed. Thanks to some medications, we are now back within a healthy range.

Joel is breathing on his own! He moves his left toes well, with some movement in his left hand. The first thing he asked for was me!

All around he looks ok. He has a large bandage on the right side of his head, as well as a drain. He has multiple IVs, and arterial line to monitor his blood pressures, and the usual monitors. His movements have been purposeful. His speech slow but clear.  He is oriented to where he is. At this point no one except me is seeing him. This is a combined choice from Dr, staff and Joel. (and myself)

When the brain is insulted it requires two things. Sleep and time. So again, we take it day by day. This tumor was quite massive.

Please continue to pray. We still do not know what we are looking at. But we praise God because I still have my husband AND he is moving all extremities. The ICU is very busy tonight. I must say its a bit odd being a family member. Not that I was not compassionate before, but wow its hard to be a spouse of a critically ill husband. His blood pressure is down, and the meds are now turned off. He is sleeping beautifully and appears comfortable.

We will know more tomorrow.  Tonight I am relieved and thankful. I am so thankful.

10 comments:

Karen Blikstad said...

Hang in there! Some of us read your updates with baited breath, praying hard the whole time. Much love.

Anonymous said...

Hooray! So happy and praying for a speedy recovery. Thank you for keeping all of us posted.

king family said...

Hey neighbor,

We have been sending thoughts and praying for you and your family all day and recruiting whoever we could to do the same. Glad to hear Joel is out of surgery and moving and speaking!

We'll keep praying!

The 4 Kings

Anonymous said...

I wish you guys so much good fortune in the coming days; a lot of people are thinking of you right now.

Hang in there!

Unknown said...

That's awesome news, Jill. So glad to hear that he's out of recovery, in a room, breathing on his own, and sleeping peacefully.

Will continue praying for Joel, and everyone.

<3 hugs <3

Lori

Moongirl said...

Praise God!

Sherrie said...

We are thankful too...especially about the finger and toe movement.
You get some rest while joel is being cared for by an efficient team....love you.

Katie Johannes said...

You don't know me, but I'm a high school friend of Jill Brach's and I'm Dezerae Naro-Johannes's sister-in-law. I've been reading your blog since Wed. and I wanted to praise you for such an amazing job you've done to support your husband and the unwavering optimism you have had thru this whole ordeal. You have been and will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. God bless you both.

Anonymous said...

Praise God!!!! What great news!!!God, may you continue to surround this family with your blessings. Jill, thank you for continuing to keep us up to date on Joel's condition. Prayers will continue!!!From Randy - Joel's pod mate in Corvallis.

Erin said...

Just so thankful. Tearfully thankful. I love you. Praise be to our Heavenly Father.